The role of Parent Representative at Hackney New Primary School.
Once a term the Headteacher aims to meet with a group of parent representatives from across the school. The Parent Representatives are elected once every two years by other parents.
The main aim of the meetings is to use the voice of our parents to help us achieve the best possible outcomes for our children. It is an opportunity for the Headteacher to share information about School Developments and for the parent representatives to share feedback from their class. Information shared is always thematic; this is not a forum for individual circumstances to be discussed.
- To strengthen the partnership between parents and staff
- To support the children’s learning
- To facilitate parental understanding of the curriculum of the school
- To share and celebrate the successes of our community
- To provide clarification over any issues in order to avoid confusion
- To involve parents in the decision-making process for various improvements and changes within the school
- To act as a forum for feedback and a voice for suggestions
Some examples of really helpful feedback have been:
- Feedback from Reception parents about Forest School scheduling
- Feedback about what has been really successful e.g. particular trip, workshop or topic
- Requests for particular workshops or more information on an aspect of our work
- Parent Reps coordinating a working group to tackle Air Pollution
- Reassurance offered by Headteacher regarding plans for temporary accomodation as the school grows.
- Understanding when messages are missed and therefore where the school needs to communicate better
The school sets the curriculum agenda. This is strategically managed by school leaders and is a balance of our curriculum ambitions, school resources and children’s timetables. Feedback shared with parent representatives should not become a ‘shopping list’ of more things the school could offer or significant changes to our offer.
Staff are available at the start and end of every school day to listen and talk about any query or concern you have. If something requires more time, they will schedule a time to sit down with you. Alternatively, you can request a meeting by emailing email@example.com
The school has a very open policy to working with parents. Any individual query or concern, no matter how small, should be brought to the school team directly. The sooner this is done, the sooner we can work to resolve the matter. We have a strong record of working closely with parents, but should you be unhappy with the support or resolution offered, this can be followed up through our Complaints Policy.