HNPS is a place where children are being provided with access to the widest range of opportunities in life as staff are empowered and committed to fostering academic excellence, instilling self-belief, intellectual curiosity and responsibility towards others in society. Where governors and the Trust (Eko Trust) are active, challenging and involved. Hence our School Values are:
Academic Excellence, Self Belief, Responsibility and Intellectual Curiosity
Our motto is ‘Academic Excellence and Intellectual Curiosity for All’ as our vision is to provide our students with access to the widest range of opportunities in life by fostering academic excellence and instilling self-belief, intellectual curiosity and responsibility towards others in society.
We are committed to our core characteristics of everyone being confident, resilient, open-minded, engaged and knowledgeable.
- Have high expectations of all children – for their academic achievement, behaviour, attendance, and participation.
- Teach an exciting, challenging and diverse curriculum
- Consistently deliver outstanding learning
- Make every moment count – our school days are longer than many other primary schools to combine a wide range of educational activities. Our children explore their interests and learn new things beyond the National Curriculum. Our children engage in meaningful activities every day of the school year.
- Continuously be an oasis of calm – Life in London can be busy, loud and fast-paced. At HNPS, we strive to be a calm, quiet place where learning comes first. Children and teachers, younger pupils and older pupils, families and school staff look out for each other. We use meals, group activities, parent workshops and events to make sure everyone gets to know everyone in our school community.
- Continuously be a genuinely comprehensive school – all children are welcome at HNPS and all are valued. We work tirelessly to ensure every child achieves their potential.
- Educate the whole child – Academic subjects, sports, music, art and drama all have an important place at HNPS, helping to build confidence, skills and a spirit of endeavour and co-operation.
- Work with parents to be a genuine community school – supporting our families and working together to ensure our children succeed.
What makes us Unique:
- We have a small adult to pupil ratio. Our PAN number for each year group is 50 which is by design as we firmly believe that the communication and positive relationships between adults and children make the most difference to a child’s learning and development.
- Our focus on Music – along with English and Mathematics, Music is a core subject at HNPS. Every child has 5 music sessions across the week led by the Music Team. The Kodaly approach is used and each child has two sessions where the focus is on developing Musicianship as part of the class, two across the week are tuitions for their chosen string instruments in small groups and one enables them to play with others and perform as part of an Orchestra.
- Family Style Dining – We believe that meals shouldn’t simply be about refuelling, but should be a chance to sit, enjoy one another’s company and talk. Children sit and eat together at tables alongside members of the staff team. A healthy, filling hot lunchtime meal is provided everyday with a choice of meat and vegetarian options. Everyone sits around a table, with the food at the centre. We start our meal together and then clear away and move onto dessert together.
- Forest School and Outdoor Learning – Our situation in Central London means that our pupils are growing up in an urban environment that could place limitations on the opportunities they have to play and learn outdoors and connect with nature. All year groups across the school take part in weekly outdoor learning in Autumn Term 1, Spring Term 2, Summer Term 1 and 2 where we are able to offer them access to a unique space where all they see is trees, grass, wildflowers, and all of mother nature’s creation. Our curriculum enables children to explore how they think, respond to the range of spaces at their own pace whilst learning creatively.
- We have our own Rooftop Garden, which has been designed and set up by the children and is a place which improves air quality, brings children closer to nature and a space for them to feel calm and relax, which is essential for their well being.
- Our continuous journey for the refinement of our pedagogical approaches and curriculum which are all evidenced based and brings learning to life while encouraging students to actively engage with content and develop their knowledge and skills.
- Longer Parent Meetings – Parent/teacher meetings are held 3 times a year, with a longer meeting time of 20 minutes planned to ensure that parents and teachers work together to support their child’s development and learning.
- We are a ‘Rights Respecting School’ with a Silver award.
- Our first cohort of Year 6s sat their SATs in May 2022 and our pupil outcomes were so strong that we were sent a letter of Congratulations by Hackney’s Director of Education in September 2022. Please click here for access to the letter
- The school was last inspected by Ofsted in June 2018 when we were judged to be ‘outstanding’ in all the key areas of inspection, and in our overall effectiveness of provision.
- We have a longer school day where the gates open for pupils at 8.35am, with register at 8.45am and pick up time of 4pm to enable our pupils to fully benefit from our enriched curriculum.