Music is at the heart of Hackney New Primary School
The School Music Curriculum is enriched by a busy calendar of performances:
- All year groups give a String Concert at the end of each Term where they showcase their skills. These are given in our beautiful new school hall
- Early years and Key Stage 1 join forces to tell the story of the Nativity at Christmas, which is fully staged in costume.
- In the Spring Term, a year group will represent the school at Music for Youth.
- In July Reception, Year 2 and Year 3 will join forces with children from other Hackney Schools at The Hackney Music Service Singing Festivals, held in the beautiful setting of The Clapton Round Chapel
- Every Year, a year group will compete at Restore the Music Battle of the Bands Competition which is held at Central Foundation Boys School in July
- We round off our school year with a whole school singing event, again held in school, where all the songs from the year are performed, often in parts. There is rarely a dry eye in the audience!
It is hugely valuable for children to see other performers at work and for this reason we take the children to hear concerts in some of London’s most prestigious and inspiring venues. The school plans to work with Open Ears to ensure live performances arranged for children are representative of the school community
- Year 1, 2, 3 and 4 visit the Barbican Centre to hear The London Symphony Orchestra
- Year 2 have visited the Wigmore Hall to hear Chamber Music
- In 2017, Katie Tunstall visited the school and performed her best known songs in an extra special singing assembly
- ROLI, Hackney-based music technology start-up and makers of the award-winning Seaboard to perform on their amazing instruments and even let all the children have a go!
- Chi-Chi Nwanoku visited the school as part of the grand opening celebrations to perform to the children, to give our 16 young double bassists a masterclass and hear the year 4 orchestra perform
- Year 4 visit the Southbank Sinfonia for a ‘sit-in’ where they are up close with the orchestra in a rehearsal for their up-coming concert and can hear the orchestra in the most intimate way possible. Children also have the opportunity to ask the players questions about their instruments and life as a working musician