Music is at the heart of Hackney New Primary School
The School Music Curriculum is enriched by a busy calendar of performances:
- Year 1 and Year 2 give a String Concert at the end of each Term where they showcase their skills. These are given in the beautiful setting of St. Peter’s Church, De Beauvoir
- Early years and Key Stage 1 join forces to tell the story of the Nativity at Christmas, which is fully staged in costume, accompanied by the whole school choir and Year 2 instrumentalists
- In the Spring Term, Year 2 represent the school at Music for Youth at the Camden Regional Festival
- In July Reception join forces with children from other Hackney Schools at The Hackney Music Service Early Years Singing Festival, held in the beautiful setting of The Clapton Round Chapel
- Year 1 instrumentalists represent the school at the Hackney Music Service Instrumental Festival in July
- Every Year, the whole of Year 1 compete at Restore the Music Battle of the Bands Competition which is held at Central Foundation Boys School in July
- We round off our school year with a whole school singing event, again held at St Peter’s De Beauvoir, where all the songs from the year are performed, often in parts. There is rarely a dry eye in the audience!
It is hugely valuable for children to see other performers at work and for this reason we take the children to hear concerts in some of London’s most prestigious and inspiring venues:
- Year 1 visit the Barbican Centre to hear The London Symphony Orchestra
- Year 2 visit the Wigmore Hall to hear Chamber Music
- In 2017, Katie Tunstall visited the school and performed her best known songs in an extra special singing assembly
- ROLI, Hackney-based music technology start-up and makers of the award-winning Seaboard to perform on their amazing instruments and even let all the children have a go!