Physical education develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. Our curriculum comprises three units per year; games , dance and gym. Outdoor adventure activities are also supported through our outdoor learning curriculum.
Physical education promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills, and it promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus we enable the children to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives.
The objectives of teaching PE at HNPS are:
- To enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and coordination.
- To encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations.
- To develop the way children perform skills, and apply rules and conventions for different activities.
- To show children how to improve the quality and control of their performance.
- To teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise.
- To develop the children’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination.
- To develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities, and how to evaluate their own success.
Our principal aim is to develop the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, and we do this through a mixture of whole-class teaching and individual or group activities. Teachers draw attention to good examples of individual performance as models for the other children, and we encourage the children to evaluate their own work as well as the work of other children. Within lessons we give the children the opportunity both to collaborate and to compete with each other, and they have the opportunity to use a wide range of resources.
We also work with ELMS which is an organisation where PE specialists come into the school to support teachers in their planning and delivery of PE lessons. Each teacher has the opportunity to work with one of these specialists throughout the academic year.