Music is at the heart of Hackney New Primary School
We’ve chosen to make music a core part of our curriculum because:
- musical performance rewards individual effort and teamwork
- learning to play an instrument teaches focus, concentration and perseverance
- performing, composing and appreciating music is beautiful and joyful.
Along with English and mathematics, music is a core subject at HNPS:
- The school day begins with a music lesson for every class.
- Children at the start of Phase 2 (age 6) have the opportunity to begin learning an instrument through small-group tuition.
- As the school grows, children will have the opportunity to play with others in groups and bands, regularly performing to different audiences.
Please see this article on the importance of keeping a beat: Researchers link ability to keep a beat to reading, language skills.