“You live a new life for every language you speak. If you only know one language, you only live once.” Czech proverb.
At Hackney New Primary School, Spanish is introduced across the school from KS1. We believe that learning a language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for pupils but it also prepares them for a rapidly changing world in which work and other activities are increasingly carried out in languages other than English.
Through our teaching of Spanish we aim to:
- foster a love of learning other languages by stimulating and encouraging children’s curiosity about language in an enjoyable and engaging way
- develop their understanding of what they hear and read and have an ability to express themselves in speech and writing.
- extend their knowledge of how language works and explore differences and similarities between Spanish and English
- promote a deeper intercultural understanding through learning about the traditions, culture and geography of other countries including Spain
- lay the foundations for the learning of further languages when they move on to secondary school
Additional opportunities to use the Spanish language the children are learning, are explored in a variety of ways, including assemblies, family days, International Week and music lessons.